- Anatoly IVANOV
- Born in 1980, Geneva, SWITZERLAND
- Contact me
I live the ideals of the universal artist of the Renaissance, infinitely curious and inventive. I combine film, photography, design and writing. I am fortunate to use equally well my left and my right brain. I am good at both factual, data-driven thinking, as well as at emotional, intuitive idea generation. I feel comfortable with change, ambiguity and the unknown. I draw on my perseverance to achieve expert results in any activity and prefer high risk / high reward opportunities. That said, I prefer calculated risk to gambling. I favor independent work but also enjoy collaboration in small teams of brilliant professionals. I value professionalism, non-conformism and commitment to quality. I learn every day and work on constant self-betterment. I prefer frankness, honesty, trust and the win-win approach. I result from a mix of Russian, French, Swiss and American cultures. I speak and write informal, business, technical, legal and lyrical English, French and Russian. I have amassed a lot of thoughts and experiences and I relish the opportunities to share what I know.
Read more about my versatility, commitment to quality, professionalism and collaboration, take a look at my artist statement, sample some of my prose, watch one of my films or browse through my photography and design portfolios.
FREELANCE DIRECTOR AND DP / ANATOLYIVANOV.COM / PARIS, FRANCE / 2011 - 2020
- I wrote, found financing, co-produced, invented unique cinema gear, developed unorthodox filming techniques, directed, shot, recorded on-location and ADR sound, edited and post-produced 2 features and several shorts in a span of 3 years without any prior training or experience in filmmaking.
- I specialize in realistic, thought-provoking, emotional and artistic vision that breaks free from mass-entertainment trends and canons, with emphasis on color, minimalism, aesthetics, experimental editing and music.
- Technically, I operate the A-camera, whether on steadicam, hand-held rig, dolly, Technocrane or Russian Arm. And while I prefer a minimalist approach, I know when to add an HMI or hide several RGB+W LED fresnels on-set for a 360° setup.
- I enjoy new challenges, subjects and themes.
- Read more about my film services and watch some of my films.
FREELANCE STILL PHOTOGRAPHER / ANATOLYIVANOV.COM / PARIS, FRANCE / 1997 - 2020
- I specialize in creative and artistic vision with emphasis on color, minimalism, aesthetics, elegance, precision and efficient visual communication.
- I enjoy new challenges, subjects and themes.
- I was published in numerous press editions, shot major advertising campaigns.
- I work with digital technology since 1999.
- Read more about my photography services and browse through my photography portfolio.
FREELANCE ART DIRECTOR, PRINT AND WEB DESIGNER / ANATOLYIVANOV.COM / PARIS, FRANCE / 1999 - 2020
FREELANCE JOURNALIST AND WRITER / ANATOLYIVANOV.COM / PARIS, FRANCE / 2001 - 2020
- I have published articles in various print and web magazines on the themes of photography and outdoor sports: Photographer.Ru / Russia (premier photography web-portal), Trail Attitude / France (first printed magazine dedicated to trail running in France), BackpackingLight.com / USA (world leading web-magazine about lightweight backpacking).
- I self-publish essays, technical articles and interviews on the subjects of art theory, film, photography, 2D and 3D art, literature, music, design, ego and society, sport, technology, business and logistics.
- Find out more about my copywriting or press articles services and read through some of my prose.
FREELANCE PRODUCT DESIGNER / ANATOLYIVANOV.COM / PARIS, FRANCE / 2008 - 2020
- I designed and sewed various unique carrying solutions (pouches, bags, backpacks) for cinema, bike and computer gear using ultra-light, ultra-strong, high-tech materials.
- I designed and built new cinema rig elements such as handles, padding, monitor hoods, using both hand-tools and CNC machinery.
SENIOR WEB DESIGNER / RAZORFISH WEB AGENCY / PARIS, FRANCE / 2001
- I designed new websites for Biogaran (French pharmaceutical company specialized in generic drugs), Dane-Elec (second largest computer memory manufacturer in the world).
- I maintained and created additional web pages for L’Oréal (leading world cosmetics company), Danone (leading world foods company), Marie Claire Maison Magazine (leading home decoration magazine in France).
- I developed a banner-based web marketing campaign for Leclerc (largest supermarkets chain in France).
PHOTO EDITOR / GAMMA PRESSE PHOTO AGENCY / PARIS, FRANCE / 1999
- I edited daily arrivals of news pictures from photographers around the world.
- I wrote related news summary stories that supplemented photography selections and informed photography sellers and buyers.
- I entered and filed photographs into the database and storage system of the then second largest photo agency on the planet.
ASSISTANT TO DIRECTOR OF MARKETING (INTERNSHIP) / LIAISON PHOTO AGENCY (GETTY IMAGES) / NEW YORK, USA / 1998
- I initiated and completed a qualitative marketing research on major competitors of Liaison Agency in North America.
- I actively participated in direct mail campaigns, advertising campaigns, sales meetings.
- I carried out operational procedures.
- I contributed to database marketing and management.
ASSISTANT TO DIRECTORS OF SIPA ICONO AND SIPA IMAGE (INTERNSHIP) / SIPA PRESS PHOTO AGENCY / PARIS, FRANCE / 1998
- I initiated and carried out marketing research and then created a new database of potential clients for SIPA ICONO department.
- I phone-marketed the Corbis Collections (distributed in those days by the SIPA IMAGE department) to advertising agencies in Paris.
ASSISTANT TO DIRECTOR OF CORPORATE PHOTOGRAPHY (INTERNSHIP) / MAGNUM PHOTOS AGENCY / PARIS, FRANCE / 1998
- I grew and updated prospective clients’ database by merging existing data, buying and sourcing new data.
- I participated in corporate clients prospecting.
- I created photographers’ portfolios.
- I helped with stock photography sales to corporate clients.
- I participated in advertising shoots for clients like France Telecom.
ASSISTANT TO MANAGING DIRECTOR OF BERLITZ PARIS (INTERNSHIP) / BERLITZ LANGUAGE SCHOOL / PARIS, FRANCE / 1997
- I managed clients database of Berlitz Paris.
- I carried out a direct mail marketing campaign “Cours spécial vacances”.
VISA OFFICER / TOURTRANS VOYAGE TOURIST AGENCY / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1996 - 1997
- I was responsible for French visa delivery to tourist groups (over 60 tourists per day).
- I managed extremely tight deadlines, difficult negotiations with the French Embassy in Moscow officials, and permanent financial danger in case the visas were not delivered (agencies bought transportation tickets before visa delivery, without possibility of exchange or reimbursement).
BTS (BREVET DE TECHNICIEN SUPÉRIEUR) ACTION COMMERCIALE APPLIQUÉE À LA PHOTOGRAPHIE / ESCP Europe / PARIS, FRANCE / 1997 - 1999
- 2-year undergraduate program in marketing applied to photography at a leading business school of the Paris Chamber of Commerce (originally established in 1819).
- Subjects included, among others: marketing, macroeconomics, international trade, negotiation, business law and accounting.
TOEFL (TEST OF ENGLISH AS A FOREIGN LANGUAGE) / PARIS, FRANCE / 1998
- Score 277 (computer test; max. score: 300).
DALF (DIPLÔME APPROFONDI DE LA LANGUE FRANÇAISE) / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1997
- French equivalent of TOEFL.
- Faculty of Economics and Business.
- Subjects included, among others: marketing, macroeconomics, business law, political science and logic.
- French school at the French Embassy in Moscow
- Lessons given by French teachers for kids of French expats wishing to continue their French education while outside of France.
- French diploma “Brevet national français”.
SECONDARY SCHOOL #376 / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1995 - 1996
- Secondary Education Certificate with Honor.
- Subjects of personal special interest: art history, literature, history, geography, geometry, biology, chemistry.
LOMONOSOV SECONDARY SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCE AND VISUAL ARTS #1530 / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1993 - 1995
- Class specialized in visual art, literature, and history.
- I won a regional inter-school competition in Russian history.
MUSIC SCHOOL / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1988 - 1990
- Specialization: chorus (soloist) and piano.
ENGLISH THEATER / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / 1987 - 1989
- I played leading roles at a local theater specialized in plays in English.
- One of the best Moscow schools specialized in English language; it has initiated active cultural exchanges with English-speaking countries in 1989. A UNESCO associated school visited by Queen Elizabeth II and featured in Russian media.
- I represented the school in painting and drawing competitions.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITION
Read more about my awards and recognition.
INTERVIEWS AND CRITIQUE
Read some of the interviews I have given.
Perfectly trilingual Russian - English - French. Professional speaking and writing in all three. Basics of German.
COMPUTER SKILLS / FILM
COMPUTER SKILLS / SOUND
- Ableton: Live (advanced).
- Adobe: Audition (advanced).
- Avid: Pro Tools (intermediate).
- Recording in challenging situations (jet engines, strong wind, night clubs, low level voice far away from mic…), music and on-location-sound editing, ADR and sound design, EQ, compression, noise reduction and spectral repair, mixing and mastering.
- I have developed and use custom DAM solutions for aggregated audio over 200 hours.
COMPUTER SKILLS / PHOTOGRAPHY
COMPUTER SKILLS / DESIGN
- Adobe: Photoshop (expert), InDesign (expert), Illustrator (expert), Fireworks (expert), Flash (advanced), Acrobat (advanced).
- Omni Group: OmniGraffle (advanced).
- Extensis: Suitcase (expert).
- FontLab: FontLab Studio (intermediate), Fontographer (intermediate).
- Autodesk: AutoCAD (intermediate).
COMPUTER SKILLS / PROJECT MANAGEMENT
COMPUTER SKILLS / OFFICE
- Microsoft: Outlook (expert), Excel (advanced), Word (expert), PowerPoint (beginner)
- Apple: Mail (expert), Calendar (expert), Keynote (beginner)
COMPUTER SKILLS / OPERATING SYSTEMS
- Apple: Mac OS 10 (expert), Mac OS 9 (advanced)
- Linux (advanced)
- Microsoft: Windows XP (intermediate), Windows 2000 (advanced), Windows NT 4 (advanced)
COMPUTER SKILLS / SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION / CLIENT-SIDE
Install, configure and troubleshoot, manage and educate users.
- Apple: Mac OS 10 (expert), Mac OS 9 (advanced). Advanced Mac OS hardening and security procedures.
- Linux: advanced Linux hardening and security procedures.
- Microsoft: Windows XP (intermediate), Windows 2000 (advanced), Windows NT 4 (advanced); Office 2004 (intermediate), Office XP (advanced), Office 2000 (advanced), Office 97 (advanced), Office 95 (advanced); Project 2000 (advanced). Basic Windows hardening and security procedures.
COMPUTER SKILLS / SYSTEM ADMINISTRATION / SERVER-SIDE
Install, configure, troubleshoot.
- Linux (advanced), including: DHCP, DNS, NAT and firewall (ipchains), Linux and Samba user accounts, Samba, NFS, Sendmail, Washington POP/IMAP, Cyrus IMAP, Postfix, Squid, Apache, MySQL, PhpCollab, Linux hardening.
- Microsoft: Windows 2003 Server (intermediate), Windows 2000 Server (intermediate), Windows NT 4 Server (advanced), including: DHCP, DNS, user accounts and Active Directory, file services, including Apple File Services, printer sharing.
- Microsoft: Exchange Server 2003 (intermediate), Exchange Server 2000 (intermediate), Exchange Server 5 (advanced), Exchange Server 4 (advanced), including MAPI, IMAP, POP/SMTP, Outlook web access.
COMPUTER SKILLS / HARDWARE
- Custom building of PC boxes (advanced).
- Custom network topology design and implementation (intermediate).
PRODUCT BUILDING SKILLS
- Metals, plastics, composites, glass, foams and woods working using both hand-tools and CNC machinery.
- Sewing high-tech fabrics (polyester, nylon, silnylon, Dyneema…), advanced elements (YKK waterproof zippers…), foams, into objects with stress loads over 15 kg (33 lbs).
- I used to play piano, I now mostly play acoustic rhythm guitar.
SPORT / RUNNING
- I ran sprints in Moscow as a member of youth sprint running team at the Bratiev Znamenskih athletics stadium.
- I now run long distance (over 15 km / 10 mi).
- Instead of organized competitions, I prefer solo, self-sufficient, timed long runs over unknown terrain (day and night).
SPORT / CYCLING
- Fast and long road cycling for fun and transportation, urban and intercity, with a preference for folding bikes.
- Instead of organized competitions, I prefer solo, timed rides and ultra-light self-sufficient touring.
- Bike assembly, redesign and repair.
SPORT / CLIMBING
- I prefer outdoor bouldering and waterfall ice climbing, but also climb one-pitch outdoor sport routes and multi-pitch sport and trad routes in the Alps, as well as some alpinism routes (light and fast alpine style).
- I have knowledge and experience of rope access and big-wall techniques for photography shoots.
SPORT / BACKPACKING
- Lightweight and fast backpacking in any season and any terrain.
SPORT / SAILING
- Fast, shorthanded sailing on mono and multihulls with a preference for catamarans.
- Ocean and land-locked experience since childhood ranging from trapezing the Formula 16 class to month-long cruising in various weather.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of fluid dynamics since 1989, rigging customization, on-board systems maintenance and repair.
- Extensive travel experience in the Former-USSR, Europe and USA.
- Read more about my geographical coverage.